The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

David Bernier

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Aatu Koskensilta wrote:
> Lee Rudolph wrote:
[...]

>> I agree (based on observations of number theorists) that "one does
>> not say" that sort of thing, and I am open to being persuaded (indeed,
>> I am predisposed to be persuaded) that if a school of mathematicians
>> got into the habit of saying that sort of thing (while continuing to
>> do mathematics) then we (and possibly they) might want to say that
>> what they were doing (though still mathematics, and possibly very
>> fine mathematics) was no longer "number theory" (or, weaker, no longer
>> *just* "number theory"): but I don't see such a response
>> is self-evidently right.

> That certainly would be the natural reaction. In fact, there already is
> a discipline of mathematics where one can expect to hear such things. No
> one calls it "number theory". It seems highly unlikely that there ever
> could be a school of mathematics in which studying e.g. structures in
> which the arithmetical consequences of ZFC hold was called "number
> theory". That sort of a terminological shift would require a major
> upheaval in the way people think about natural numbers.
>

>> In other words (I guess), is there anything more than historical
>> chance and prejudice behind the feeling (which I certainly share,
>> but don't feel particularly justified in sharing) that "natural
>> numbers should be *categorical*, dammit"?

> It's a basic property of our conception of the natural numbers that they
> don't bifurcate into a multitude of non-isomorphic structures. There are
> some people of ultra-intuitionist and ultra-finitist peruasion -
> Esenin-Volpin and Edward Nelson come to mind - who do think that there
> are many different natural number lines and reject the ordinary
> conception of the natural numbers as incoherent or unjustified. This
> just goes to show, once again, that it is to a large extent a matter of
> personal preference and inclination what one finds convincing and
> coherent, and that even in mathematics there probably is no principle
> someone competent hasn't doubted or rejected.

I consulted the web site ``Earliest Known Uses of Some of the
Words of Mathematics", for which I can't find the author.

The listings for terms beginning with the letter C can be found here:
http://members.aol.com/jeff570/c.html

A quote from the entry for CATEGORICAL (axiom system) follows:

``Thus in his The Loss of Certainty (1980, p. 271) Morris Kline wrote:

Older texts did "prove" that the basic systems were categorical;
(...) But the "proofs" were loose (...) No set
of axioms is categorical, despite "proofs" by Hilbert and others.

This remark was corrected by C. Smorynski in an acrimonious review:

The fact is, there are two distinct notions of axiomatics and,
with respect to one, the older texts did prove categoricity and not
merely "prove".

[This entry was contributed by Carlos César de Araújo.] "

One suspicion I have is that Smorynski's comment is related
to second order logic as distinguished from first order logic.

If someone could elaborate on the meaning of what Smorynski wrote,
I'd appreciate it.

David Bernier

Date Subject Author
7/12/06