The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

namducnguyen

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Rupert wrote:

> As I said, Nam Nguyen seems to be using "absolute truth" to mean
> "something that is true independently of which semantics we use".

Imho, formally, it's near impossible to *directly* define "absolute
truth". On the other hand, if we *indirectly* define it as: anything
that is relative is not absolute, then we have a good chance to
indirectly understand "absolute truth". And relativity is something
we could easily define up-and-down the ladder of mathematical
introspection. For instance, the truth of 1 + 1 = 0 is relative
to what formal system we choose, hence it can't be an absolute truth.
Or the truth of (x=x) would depend on what logical system that's being
assumed, hence it's not an absolute truth. etc...

Imho, mathematical relativity could be grouped into 2 groups:

a) interpretation/semantic-based relativity: this is when a truth value
would depend on a reasoning being's (model) interpretation, or
(semantic) interpretation.

b) knowledge-based relativity: this is when knownability of the truth
value would depend on the knowledge on the reasoning being. For
instance, without loss of generality, let's k be a number so big
that Prime(k) is unknown to human being, then Prime(k) is knowledge-
relative. (If the theory is PA, then it's possible that PA can be
inconsistent and in which case Prime(k), for there would be no
model. But PA's shortest inconsistency-proof might be even
longer than proof of Prime(k). Hence "Prime(k) is true" is a
knowledge-based relative truth.)

And again, the truth that is relative is not an absolute truth.

> Obviously no such thing exists.

I wouldn't go that far though.

What we call 'I' is just a swinging door which moves
when we inhale and exhale.
Shunryu Suzuki

Date Subject Author
7/12/06