The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

George Greene

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Aatu Koskensilta wrote:
> Why? Do you think similarly one can have no opinion regarding the
> consistency of ZFC and that one can assert it or one can assert its
> negation?

These are hardly analogous.
If you actually think that ZFC is inconsistent, then you have
to abandon the whole enterprise. Nevertheless, you can consistently
(in ZFC, anyway) assert that it is. If you think Con(ZFC) is spelled
right, anyway.

> > In each case, there are a different set of theorems which can be proven
> > under these assumptions. And a different universe of sets which can be
> > said to exist or not exist.

If ZFC is not consistent then no relevant universes exist.
The fact that one exists where this allegedly IS being said
is simply a refutation of the allegation.

> The problem with this idea is that set theoretical principles have
> consequences that concern things mathematicians think of as uniquely
> determined, such as the naturals, reals and so forth. While in set
> theoretical contexts talk about "different universes" might make some
> marginal sense, surely it makes no sense to speak of there being
> "different natural number systems".

Of course, but the naturals are a much simpler structure than
"the" alleged sets. To the extent that there can be such a thing
as an intended model of set theory, it should go withOUT saying
that it will have to get all-its-truths-about-its-naturals "right".

> > How is this conceptually different for you than considering on the one
> > hand the usual axioms of group theory, and on the other assuming in
> > addition commutativity, so that all groups are Abelian?

> The difference is that in group theory one studies various structures
> with various properties.

This is not a difference. This is a similarity.

> The axioms in that cases are used just to pick
> the sort of structure one is interested in.

This is not a difference. This is a similarity.

> Set theoretical axioms,
> axioms about well-orderedness of primitive recursive orderings, etc.
> aren't used to pick any structures, but rather to provide information
> about one structure.

One structure that you personally cannot hope to actually
identify. The properties of this structure are going to have
to continue to be recounted in vague natural language terms
and there will be SOME room for disagreement even there.

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?
Norman Wildberger