The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On 20 Jul 2006 18:33:55 -0700, "Rupert" <rupertmccallum@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Lester Zick wrote:

>> On 20 Jul 2006 02:18:57 -0700, "Rupert" <rupertmccallum@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>> >No "seems" about it. It's completely obvious. What contestable
>> >assumption do you think I'm making?

>> I didn't say "contestable assumption". What I said was "assumption".
>> Assumptions refer to a lack of demonstration.

>In some contexts, perhaps. In some contexts I would have thought it
>also implied that there was some room for reasonable doubt.

Not sure I follow the objection. An assumption is an assumption.
Assumptions are always contestable.

>> You certainly assume
>> what you don't demonstrate by calling it obvious.

>It is obvious to any person of good sense.

"Good sense" is nothing more than "obvious" by any other name. It's
still an assumption and as an assumption it is still contestable to
the extent it's demonstrable by regression to further assumptions.

>> Obviously it is a
>> canonical assumption on your part that what you say is true. Whether
>> it is actually true or not however remains to be seen.
>>

>You have some doubt about it, do you? Would you like to elaborate on
>this?

Some doubt about what? I always have doubts about assumptions until
they're demonstrable by regression to something other than further
assumptions.

>> >What's your evidence?

>> If you would be so good as to clarify what Nam thinks "absolute truth"
>> means I'll try to supply it.

>As I said, Nam Nguyen seems to be using "absolute truth" to mean
>"something that is true independently of which semantics we use".
>Obviously no such thing exists.

Well we have no choice but to use semantics in the course of
demonstration. So I imagine any demonstration of absolute truth has to
be subject to semantical considerations in this regard. But that
doesn't necessarily mean the absolute truth demonstrated semantically
is any the less true. The semantics themselves have to be demonstrably
true as well in this context. If we use semantics of circular logic
obviously the demonstration will be no more valid than the semantics
involved. Demonstrations of absolute truth in universal terms will
have to depend on finding a semantics which regresses finitely for
strictly mechanical reasons.

>> It may or may not be "different to" what
>> others think but I have no doubt it will be "different from" what you,
>> Nam, and others think.

>> >What claim?

>> What claim were you referring to?

>When? I can't see where I mentioned any claim. Quote me referring to a
>claim and I'll tell you what claim I was referring to.

I'm not clear who said what at this point. The request I make directly
above refers to clarification of "What claim?" and it's preceeding
comment above. The only general claim I've made so far is that
alternatives to what is absolutely false must perforce be universally
and absolutely true.

>> We seem to be in a "he said/she
>> said" mode at this point where it's difficult to discern what each of
>> us is referring to. My claim in general terms is that the alternative
>> to absolute falseness is universally true.
>>

>What do "absolute falseness" and "universally true" mean?

They're tautological alternatives in that what is not absolutely false
must perforce be universally and absolutely true.

~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?