The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 17:19:22 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

>> >I am talking as if it has not been established whether there are any, at
>> >least until one has assumed something on which to base distinguishing
>> >alternatives.

>> Assumed the truth of something used to establish the truth of what is
>> assumed.

>I am familiar with assuming something true in order to show that it is
>actually false, but have never seen any assumption successfully used to
>prove itself true.

One doesn't. One initially assumes something true and then uses its
tautological alternative to show that the tautological alternative is
absolutely false which proves that the initial assumptions is
necessarily and universally true by inference.

Example:

I assume initially but can't prove "A" is universally true.

I then examine "not A" to see whether it's universally false. If so
the universal truth of "A" is demonstrated because the tautological
proposition "A, not A" is exhaustive of all possibilities for truth.

>As usual, I request an example of Zick's alleged assumption used to
>prove itself true.

Well perhaps the general claim is too obscure.

>And as usual, Zick will not provide one.

See the example of the reasoning involved above. The initial
assumption "A" is just an assumption and does not and cannot be used
to prove itself. That should go without saying. However we can
recognize the fact of self contradiction in "not A" if it is present
and if present we can assume "not A" is universally false from that
and infer that "A" must be universally true because its tautologically
exhaustively alternative is always false.

The fact of universal self contradiction is not necessarily obvious in
examples like "not A" because there is nothing apparent in the example
to indicate it. But in an example like "not not" the fact of self
contradiction is obvious and we infer with confidence that "not" must
be absolutely and universally true because its tautological
alternative "not not" is obviously and necessarily self contradictory
and hence false and the tautological combination (not, "not not")
exhausts all possibilities for truth.

~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06