The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 23:05:29 GMT, Nam Nguyen <namducnguyen@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>Lester Zick wrote:
>

>> On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 20:38:34 GMT, Nam Nguyen <namducnguyen@shaw.ca>
>> wrote:

>>>Would you be able to give a specific example of another different
>>>sense, in which an *absolute* truth could be defined and be interested
>>>by *more than one person*?

>> Universal truth, truth mechanically contrary to universal falseness?

>In the context of math and logic discussion, when we say *specific
>example* we mean a specific mathematical statement of certain
>specific logical framework (meta statement would be OK too). Just
>_simply uttering_ "Universal truth", "universal falsenes", "truth
>mechanically contrary to universal falsenes" doesn't make these
>specific examples or anything meaningful, other than nonsensical
>babbling.

So generic language cannot be universally true as a matter of
mathematical definition? I beg to differ. Generic language can be used
uncritically but there's nothing in generic language per se which
necessitates this. Mathematical and formal logical languages can be
and are every bit as much nonsensical babbling when they are used
uncritically, to wit the definition of a circle which turns out to
define a sphere instead.

~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06