The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 14:14:26 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

>In article <6l72c2hqmtpm8444sc20l5q9g4r7smavuc@4ax.com>,
> Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 21:37:01 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

>> >"Faith based"? There is no "faith" required for axiomatic based
>> >mathematics, only logic.

>> Sure. And assumptions of truth of axioms doesn't make axiomatic math
>> faith based. Yadayada whatever.
>>
>> ~v~~

>Truth of "If P then Q" need not require assuming the truth of "P".

Never said it did. I just said the truth of any Q demonstrated of P
requires the assumption of truth for P. Otherwise the truth of Q
remains problematic. It's an old and ongoing problem in Aristotelian
syllogistic inference: the truth of any conclusion is only supported
by the truth of the premises involved.

>If P and Q are compound statements such that Q is false whenever P is
>false, then "If P then Q" will be true regardless of the truth of P.

Don't quite follow the logic here. The whole "If" conditional is an
assumption of truth on the face of it.

>All one is assuming is that formal logic works as advertised, which is
>not. strictly speaking, a mathematical assumption at all.

Never said it was.

~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06