The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Rupert

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Nam Nguyen wrote:
> Rupert wrote:
>

> > Nam Nguyen wrote:

> >>Imho, formally, it's near impossible to *directly* define "absolute
> >>truth". On the other hand, if we *indirectly* define it as: anything
> >>that is relative is not absolute, then we have a good chance to
> >>indirectly understand "absolute truth". And relativity is something
> >>we could easily define up-and-down the ladder of mathematical
> >>introspection. For instance, the truth of 1 + 1 = 0 is relative
> >>to what formal system we choose, hence it can't be an absolute truth.
> >>Or the truth of (x=x) would depend on what logical system that's being
> >>assumed, hence it's not an absolute truth. etc...
> >>
> >>Imho, mathematical relativity could be grouped into 2 groups:
> >>
> >>a) interpretation/semantic-based relativity: this is when a truth value
> >> would depend on a reasoning being's (model) interpretation, or
> >> (semantic) interpretation.
> >>
> >>b) knowledge-based relativity: this is when knownability of the truth
> >> value would depend on the knowledge on the reasoning being. For
> >> instance, without loss of generality, let's k be a number so big
> >> that Prime(k) is unknown to human being, then Prime(k) is knowledge-
> >> relative. (If the theory is PA, then it's possible that PA can be
> >> inconsistent and in which case Prime(k), for there would be no
> >> model. But PA's shortest inconsistency-proof might be even
> >> longer than proof of Prime(k). Hence "Prime(k) is true" is a
> >> knowledge-based relative truth.)
> >>
> >>And again, the truth that is relative is not an absolute truth.
> >>

> > All right, so this is one way of understanding what "absolute truth"
> > means. On this interpretation, in my view the question about whether
> > absolute truth exists is trivial. It is obvious and uninteresting that
> > no sentence can be true regardless of which semantics we use.

> Then welcome to the (rebel) camp of relativity of truth and reasoning!

But if this is what is meant by "relativity of truth and reasoning",
then I don't agree that it's a rebel camp, because what I said is
absolutely trivial and uninteresting, and would be agreed on by any
person of good sense. I don't accept that this is what the debates
about absolute vs. relative truth really are about.

> (There are those who still insists on "universal truth" and "universal
> falseness"). Just curious though, do you happen to have another way of
> understanding absolute truth?

I don't know if I can specify right now in detail what I think people
usually understand by the distinction between absolute and relative
truth. I would only be speculating. Maybe I should read some of the
literature about it.

> >>I wouldn't go that far though.
> >>

> > Why not?
>
> On the account that I as a mortal being with limited knowledge
> and ability of making expressions, I couldn't tell if God exist
> - or not. So I couldn't go that far to claim if there *exists*,
> or not, an absolute truth.

The alleged fact that we can't tell whether God exists or not doesn't
seem to me in any way to mitigate the obviousness of my claim.

> You're the one who made such a claim, perhaps you could elaborate
> on the claim.

It is absolutely obvious that there do not exist sentences which are
true regardless of the semantics we use. We could always use a
semantics on which the sentence expressed the proposition that two plus
two equals five. This is an utterly trivial and uninteresting point.

> --
>
> What we call 'I' is just a swinging door which moves
> when we inhale and exhale.
> Shunryu Suzuki

Date Subject Author
7/12/06