The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

herbzet@cox.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Lester Zick wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 14:14:26 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

[...]

> >Truth of "If P then Q" need not require assuming the truth of "P".
>
> Never said it did. I just said the truth of any Q demonstrated of P
> requires the assumption of truth for P.

No. P may be false and validly imply true q.

> Otherwise the truth of Q
> remains problematic.

Yes.

> It's an old and ongoing problem in Aristotelian
> syllogistic inference: the truth of any conclusion is only supported
> by the truth of the premises involved.

Yes and no: Q is true or false regardless of whether P implies it
or not. On the other hand, our _knowledge_ of the truth of Q is
only supported by (our knowledge of) the truth of P.

We may be about to have a problem due to confusing a proposition "p"
with a formula "P".

> >If P and Q are compound statements such that Q is false whenever P is
> >false, then "If P then Q" will be true regardless of the truth of P.

> Don't quite follow the logic here. The whole "If" conditional is an
> assumption of truth on the face of it.

It certainly seems that way. It can be supported with an argument
from a truth table:

P -> Q = (p /\ q) -> (p \/ q) for p | q
-----------------------|-|--------------------|---
1 |1| 1 1 | 1
0 |1| X 1 | 0
0 |1| X 0 | 1
0 |1| X 0 | 0

where "X" means "don't care". The false premise automatically
gives us a true implication.

We can go even farther:

P -> Q = (p /\ q) -> (p \/ q) for p | q
-----------------------|-|--------------------|---
1 |1| 1 1 | 1
0 |X| X 1 | 0
0 |X| X 0 | 1
0 |X| X 0 | 0

because we don't care about the cases where P is false.
What we care about is that the conclusion is true in
all cases that the premise is true.

At least, this is a common understanding of the situation.

--
hz

> >All one is assuming is that formal logic works as advertised, which is
> >not. strictly speaking, a mathematical assumption at all.

> Never said it was.
>
> ~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06