The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On 21 Jul 2006 16:59:48 -0700, "Jiri Lebl" <jirka@5z.com> wrote:

>Lester Zick wrote:
>> Tautological combinations such as "A, not A" exhaust all possibilities
>> for truth unless I'm very much mistaken.

>Good thing you admit it. Yes you are very much mistaken. For example
>take A be the statement: "Is P(N) = aleph_1 true in ZFC".

Not much for transfinite arithmetic so it's a little difficult to
evaluate this example. If you're talking compound predicates in A you
have a problem. If I say "red, not red" alternatives are exhaustive.
But if I say "red idea, not red idea" and the predicate "red" does not
apply to the predicate "idea" the situation is problematic at best.

> Simple
>enough statement. However, neither "A" nor "not A" is true. You must
>be VERY careful what kind of statement you make A. Further the fact
>that either A or not A is true is an AXIOM (given that A is a well
>defined statement that is either true or false in some system)! It is
>an ASSUMPTION! Further some people reject this assumption, for it
>leads to non constructive proofs.

Well this point is well taken: the tautological exhaustion of truth is
an assumption. However the point I would make in this connection is
whether there can be any alternative. In other words can there be an
alternative to the tautological exhaustion of truth that is actually
"not a tautology"? If so it would seem we nonetheless have the
resulting tautology "tautology, not tautology" in order to deny the
tautology which as far as I can tell denies the possibility of any
alternatives to the tautology whether or not the exhaustion of truth
in tautologies is an assumption. In other words whether or not the
exhaustion of truth in tautologies is an assumption, there can be no
mechanical alternative to tautologies.

~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06