The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Patricia Shanahan

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Lester Zick wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 18:54:29 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> In article <npn2c2tpslkguqtbm2t03r0vstn22d75ie@4ax.com>,

>>> Which you appear unwilling or unable to evaluate.
>> I tend to resist acceptance of claims which are presented, as Zick's
>> are, without persuasive evidence in support of them.
>>
>> If one presents an axiom system and says "IF we assume this system such
>> and such follows", and then presents some evidence the such and such
>> actually does follow, I am much more accepting.
>>
>> Zick claims to have things follow from nothing at all, and then presents
>> no evidence.
>>
>> I do not find his lack of evidence persuasive.

> As previously noted, which you are unwilling or unable to evaluate.
> Not my problem.

It is your problem if, and only if, you wish to convince other people of
your views. If you don't care whether anyone else agrees with you, it is
not your problem.

However, USENET posting seems a rather futile activity if done without
any wish to convince.

Patricia

Date Subject Author
7/12/06