The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 16:32:18 GMT, Patricia Shanahan <pats@acm.org>
wrote:

>Lester Zick wrote:
>> On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 18:54:29 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> I tend to resist acceptance of claims which are presented, as Zick's
>>> are, without persuasive evidence in support of them.
>>>
>>> If one presents an axiom system and says "IF we assume this system such
>>> and such follows", and then presents some evidence the such and such
>>> actually does follow, I am much more accepting.
>>>
>>> Zick claims to have things follow from nothing at all, and then presents
>>> no evidence.
>>>
>>> I do not find his lack of evidence persuasive.

>> As previously noted, which you are unwilling or unable to evaluate.
>> Not my problem.

>It is your problem if, and only if, you wish to convince other people of
>your views. If you don't care whether anyone else agrees with you, it is
>not your problem.

I'm not sure agreement is really an issue where absolute truth is
concerned. I merely maintain that contradiction is true of everything
because contradiction cannot be contradicted since the contradiction
of contradiction is self contradictory.

Now I realize this may seem like a very exotic line of reasoning but
it is true and universally so regardless of whether people disagree or
not. The problem is that without recognizing the universality of this
principle people have no clue as to how to reason about what is true
or how we recognize it and further mechanical principles consistent
with it.

I don't mind trying to convince people but I'm much more interested in
stating the principle itself accurately in succinct terms such that
people can examine it and convince themselves. Ultimately one cannot
"convince" people of what's universally true than they can that 1+1=2.

>However, USENET posting seems a rather futile activity if done without
>any wish to convince.

Not entirely. The main value of usenet posting is to expose ideas to
criticism and refine them. The only instance I can remember convincing
anyone of anything was when I convinced Bob Kolker there is no real
number line. It took him a while but he was straightforward enough to
acknowledge that there is no real number line in formal terms despite
the whining and snivveling of quite a few mathematikers.

The real difficulty nowadays is whole hosts of momumentally stupid
opinions are bruted about regarding modern mathematics and science in
general and their significance. The title of this thread is an
excellent example. We are asked whether we believe instead of whether
we can prove the truth of what we believe. Empiricism is all over the
place with all kinds of hypothetical speculations. What we're looking
at here is just the tip of a very big iceberg.

Lester Zick
~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06