The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Virgil

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

In article <t4t4c25jdc83hs3qg2fnc917rj4vkb6h59@4ax.com>,
Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 19:43:40 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:
>

> >In article <rao2c2dq73mt6pnljbpi5fojdl0g9gscp4@4ax.com>,

> >> Never said it did. I just said the truth of any Q demonstrated of P
> >> requires the assumption of truth for P.

> >But that only means that the truth of Q is conditional on the truth of
> >P, and does not require that P be true, unless one claims that Q is
> >unconditionally true.

> Of course. The difficulty is that truth of Q and P remains conditional
> and will continue to be so unless and unitl regressed to something
> unconditionally true.

And does Zick claim that such regression is even possible?

> >> Otherwise the truth of Q
> >> remains problematic. It's an old and ongoing problem in Aristotelian
> >> syllogistic inference: the truth of any conclusion is only supported
> >> by the truth of the premises involved.

> >Precisely.

> Whereas I'm interested in something that is actually demonstrably
> true.

But for anything to be *demonstrably* true, its demonstration must
depend on the truth of other things, so it will not be unconditionally
true after all.

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?