The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Virgil

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

In article <0gt4c2h4r7jfdfu1cq5tbvag7efi33gbqu@4ax.com>,
Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 03:07:19 -0400, herbzet@cox.net wrote:
>

> >Lester Zick wrote:

> >> On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 14:14:26 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:
> >> >

> >[...]

> >> Never said it did. I just said the truth of any Q demonstrated of P
> >> requires the assumption of truth for P.

> >No. P may be false and validly imply true q.

> I don't follow this. If P is false then any Q demonstrated of P is
> false too.

Wrong! From assumption of a false statement one may deduce any statement
at all, including any true statement.

Bertrand Russell, in a public debate, once stated this,
and was immediately challenged to prove that
if 2 = 1, then he (Russell) was the Pope.

As Russell's atheism was well known, the audience laughed loudly.

As soon as the laughter died down Russell argued:
"The Pope and I are two"
"If 2 = 1 then the Pope and I are one,
"therefore I am the Pope."

At which the audience roared.