The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Virgil

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

In article <keu4c29231k51ma0k7inaks4p69jb9c03b@4ax.com>,
Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 16:32:18 GMT, Patricia Shanahan <pats@acm.org>
> wrote:

> >> As previously noted, which you are unwilling or unable to evaluate.
> >> Not my problem.

> >It is your problem if, and only if, you wish to convince other people of
> >your views. If you don't care whether anyone else agrees with you, it is
> >not your problem.

> I'm not sure agreement is really an issue where absolute truth is
> concerned.

As we only have Zick's word for it that there is any such as
unconditional "absolute truth", if he wishes others to agree, he needs
to convince them.

>I merely maintain that contradiction is true of everything
> because contradiction cannot be contradicted since the contradiction
> of contradiction is self contradictory.

Which statement is full of Zick's undemonstrated assumptions.

> Now I realize this may seem like a very exotic line of reasoning but
> it is true and universally so regardless of whether people disagree or
> not.

Now there is a huge and undemonstrable assumption.

>The problem is that without recognizing the universality of this
> principle people have no clue as to how to reason about what is true
> or how we recognize it and further mechanical principles consistent
> with it.

Zick may not, but others do. Others, at least the mathematicians among
them, allow that one can get nowhere without some basic assumptions.

> I don't mind trying to convince people but I'm much more interested in
> stating the principle itself accurately in succinct terms such that
> people can examine it and convince themselves.

Why should anyone bother to try and convince himself of what Zick cannot
show is true?

> Ultimately one cannot
> "convince" people of what's universally true than they can that 1+1=2.

AS "1+1 = 2" is only demonstrably true in certain axiom systems, one can
show that it is true relative to those systems, though it is often a
long grind to do so.

Outside of those systems, "1+1 = 2" may be false, if it has a meaning at
all, or may simply have no meaning.

> >However, USENET posting seems a rather futile activity if done without
> >any wish to convince.

> Not entirely. The main value of usenet posting is to expose ideas to
> criticism and refine them. The only instance I can remember convincing
> anyone of anything was when I convinced Bob Kolker there is no real
> number line. It took him a while but he was straightforward enough to
> acknowledge that there is no real number line in formal terms despite
> the whining and snivveling of quite a few mathematikers.

Many mathematicians could cobble up an axiom system in which there IS a
"real number line". In fact, it can be done in NBG.

> The real difficulty nowadays is whole hosts of momumentally stupid
> opinions are bruted about regarding modern mathematics and science in
> general and their significance.

Zick being one of those bruters.

Date Subject Author
7/12/06