The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 13:24:01 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

>In article <ftk4c2tae992le4gsikrvvcc829ck0ess4@4ax.com>,
> Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 19:49:40 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

>> >But as axioms are always themselves assumptions, how is that "regression
>> >to something other than further assumptions"?

>> It isn't.

>Then we can still conclude that Zick doubts everything, except his own
>secret assumptions.

Mathematikers pretty much assume the truth of whatever they want. It's
the stock in trade of faith based mathematics. What they cannot do
however is demonstrate the truth of their assumptions.

Lester Zick
~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06