The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 13:21:33 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

>In article <gik4c25dtqg93c4d3be7ld4f90ktqmvaie@4ax.com>,
> Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 18:42:41 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

>> >If you claim that you can prove "A" this way then you are using the law
>> >of the excluded middle, which you said you did not assume to be valid..

>> I don't assume the law of the excluded middle to be valid in general
>> expecially where compound predicates are involved. It's actually only
>> valid in the one instance where single universal predicates are used.

>Then you are assuming that some limited version of the law of the
>excluded middle is valid. In any case, you cannot get your desired
>result without SOME assumption.

Which assumption I demonstrate the truth of tautologically whereas
faith based math cannot demonstrate the truth of their assumptions
syllogistically.

>> >If you claim that you can prove "A" this way then you are using the law
>> >of the excluded middle, which you said you did not assume to be valid..

>> > Not to me, as I have no idea what "not not" is saying that could be
>> >interpreted as self contradictory.

>> You don't see the "contradiction of contradiction" as self
>> contradictory? My but you are uncommonly slow.

>I do not see double negation as anything but affirmation.

Then I suggest you get your eyes checked.

>> >The only sensible interpretation I can think of is that for every
>> >proposition A, "not not" returns the proposition "not(notA))".
>> >And this interpretation confounds Zick's argument.

>> And how about the proposition "not(not)"? What does that return?

>As "not" is a logical operator, it has no meaning until it operates on
>something, and like numerical negation, doubling it cancels it.

I see. So what does "not arithmetic" mean? What does "not subtraction"
mean? You're an idiot.

>> >Zick's "inference with confidence" fails to inspire me with the least
>> >iota of confidence that "not not" is anything but doubletalk.

>> All self contradiction is doubletalk.

>Certainly all ZIck's talk tends to be self contradictory doubletalk

Takes one to know one, sport.

Lester Zick
~v~~

Date Subject Author