The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 14:18:32 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

>In article <j5u4c2pq0rrcq9o4cuf6scfl86884qhsdp@4ax.com>,
> Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 12:59:55 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

>> >Mathematicians do not need to believe in the truth of the aims they work
>> >with, as their deductions are merely conditional.

>> As is their truth is conditional and their axioms faith based.

>> > The only thing mathematicians deny is Zick's (or anyone else's) ability
>> >to get something for nothing in mathematics. One must, in mathematics,
>> >have, and ultimately be able to state, the mathematical and logical
>> >assumptions from which one's deductions are derived.

>> Mathematikers have no problem stating their faith based assumptions of
>> truth.

>Who says that any mathematical axiom systems are "faith" based?

Anyone who believes in axioms and uses syllogistic inference to
demonstrate theorems drawn from those axioms.

>All mathematical axiom systems that I am aware of are chosen on the
>basis of what can or cannot be deduced from them, which is a good deal
>too empirical a standard to be miscalled "faith" based.

The demonstration of theorems through syllogistic inference is not
faith based but the choice of axiomatic assumptions is because the
only choice is whether one believes them or not. Notice once more the
title of this thread.

>> Stating assumptions of truth is no problem and never has been.
>> Doing anything besides stating assumptions of truth has proven to be a
>> more intractable problem.

>Actually, discovering what a particular body of assumptions implies and
>choosing the more useful of such bodies of assumptions is what
>mathematicians do.

I don't blame them. It's called guessing. I'd do it too if I had
nothing better to go on.

>Absolute unconditional truth, if it exists at all in Zick's sense, is
>part of metaphysics, not math.

Of course it is. That's how we define and demonstrate the nature of
reality. And faith based math is not part of anything except wishful
thinking and guesstimations of what's actually true and what's not.

Lester Zick
~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06