The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 14:34:30 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

>In article <keu4c29231k51ma0k7inaks4p69jb9c03b@4ax.com>,
> Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 16:32:18 GMT, Patricia Shanahan <pats@acm.org>
>> wrote:

>> >It is your problem if, and only if, you wish to convince other people of
>> >your views. If you don't care whether anyone else agrees with you, it is
>> >not your problem.

>> I'm not sure agreement is really an issue where absolute truth is
>> concerned.

>As we only have Zick's word for it that there is any such as
>unconditional "absolute truth", if he wishes others to agree, he needs
>to convince them.

Oh wouldn't you just love that, sport. Then you'd really have me at
the tender mercy of your faith based math, syllogistic inference, and
empirical assumptions of truth.

>>I merely maintain that contradiction is true of everything
>> because contradiction cannot be contradicted since the contradiction
>> of contradiction is self contradictory.

>Which statement is full of Zick's undemonstrated assumptions.

Sez who?

>> Now I realize this may seem like a very exotic line of reasoning but
>> it is true and universally so regardless of whether people disagree or
>> not.

>Now there is a huge and undemonstrable assumption.

Also sprach a true man of faith but not a man of true faith.

>>The problem is that without recognizing the universality of this
>> principle people have no clue as to how to reason about what is true
>> or how we recognize it and further mechanical principles consistent
>> with it.

>Zick may not, but others do. Others, at least the mathematicians among
>them, allow that one can get nowhere without some basic assumptions.

They have to allow it because they have no other recourse than
syllogistic inference and faith based assumptions of truth.

>> I don't mind trying to convince people but I'm much more interested in
>> stating the principle itself accurately in succinct terms such that
>> people can examine it and convince themselves.

>Why should anyone bother to try and convince himself of what Zick cannot
>show is true?

Beats the hell outta me.

>> Ultimately one cannot
>> "convince" people of what's universally true than they can that 1+1=2.

>AS "1+1 = 2" is only demonstrably true in certain axiom systems, one can
>show that it is true relative to those systems, though it is often a
>long grind to do so.

Yes, yes, "1+1=2" only in certain belief systems.

>Outside of those systems, "1+1 = 2" may be false, if it has a meaning at
>all, or may simply have no meaning.

Assumptions of truth rarely have the same meaning in all faith based
belief systems. This is not exactly news.

>> >However, USENET posting seems a rather futile activity if done without
>> >any wish to convince.

>> Not entirely. The main value of usenet posting is to expose ideas to
>> criticism and refine them. The only instance I can remember convincing
>> anyone of anything was when I convinced Bob Kolker there is no real
>> number line. It took him a while but he was straightforward enough to
>> acknowledge that there is no real number line in formal terms despite
>> the whining and snivveling of quite a few mathematikers.

>Many mathematicians could cobble up an axiom system in which there IS a
>"real number line". In fact, it can be done in NBG.

Not according to Bob Kolker. But feel free to try.

>> The real difficulty nowadays is whole hosts of momumentally stupid
>> opinions are bruted about regarding modern mathematics and science in
>> general and their significance.

>Zick being one of those bruters.

So now I'm a brute just because I'm opposed to faith based math?

Lester Zick
~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06