The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Virgil

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

In article <t3a5c2tdbsr2c7kunuq1atoctrqm067m5f@4ax.com>,
Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 14:18:32 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

> >Who says that any mathematical axiom systems are "faith" based?
>
> Anyone who believes in axioms and uses syllogistic inference to
> demonstrate theorems drawn from those axioms.

On the contrary, those are precisely the people who would deny that it
is "faith" based.

> >All mathematical axiom systems that I am aware of are chosen on the
> >basis of what can or cannot be deduced from them, which is a good deal
> >too empirical a standard to be miscalled "faith" based.

> The demonstration of theorems through syllogistic inference is not
> faith based but the choice of axiomatic assumptions is because the
> only choice is whether one believes them or not.

On the contrary, the choice of a set of axioms depends not on whether
anyone believes in the axioms themselves, but on whether one find the
consequences drawn from them to be useful.

> >Absolute unconditional truth, if it exists at all in Zick's sense, is
> >part of metaphysics, not math.

> Of course it is. That's how we define and demonstrate the nature of
> reality. And faith based math

Since existence of any "faith based math" is an assumption of Zick's
made without any evidence, it is a faith based assumption.

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?
Norman Wildberger