The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Virgil

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

In article <7ma5c2dbv45vtn75i4qi3tsk2bqrvrvalh@4ax.com>,
Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 14:34:30 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:
>

> >In article <keu4c29231k51ma0k7inaks4p69jb9c03b@4ax.com>,
> > Lester Zick <DontBother@nowhere.net> wrote:

> >As we only have Zick's word for it that there is any such as
> >unconditional "absolute truth", if he wishes others to agree, he needs
> >to convince them.

> Oh wouldn't you just love that, sport.

As Zick has shown no ability to convince anyone of anything, the issue
is moot.

> >>I merely maintain that contradiction is true of everything
> >> because contradiction cannot be contradicted since the contradiction
> >> of contradiction is self contradictory.

> >Which statement is full of Zick's undemonstrated assumptions.

> Sez who?

It is full of claims, none of which are demonstrated, so it is either
that or sheer nonsense.

> >> Now I realize this may seem like a very exotic line of reasoning but
> >> it is true and universally so regardless of whether people disagree or
> >> not.

> >Now there is a huge and undemonstrable assumption.

> >Why should anyone bother to try and convince himself of what Zick cannot
> >show is true?

> Beats the hell outta me.

Not thoroughly enough to let any light shine through.

> >> Ultimately one cannot
> >> "convince" people of what's universally true than they can that 1+1=2.

> >AS "1+1 = 2" is only demonstrably true in certain axiom systems, one can
> >show that it is true relative to those systems, though it is often a
> >long grind to do so.

> Yes, yes, "1+1=2" only in certain belief systems.

If that claim is a part of Zick's own belief system, it is a faulty
system.

> >Outside of those systems, "1+1 = 2" may be false, if it has a meaning at
> >all, or may simply have no meaning.

> Assumptions of truth rarely have the same meaning in all faith based
> belief systems. This is not exactly news.

Zick's faith based system seems to be one without any redeeming
qualities.

> >> The real difficulty nowadays is whole hosts of momumentally stupid
> >> opinions are bruted about regarding modern mathematics and science in
> >> general and their significance.

> >Zick being one of those bruters.

> So now I'm a brute just because I'm opposed to faith based math?

You exemplify what you claim to oppose, and that is a bit brutish.

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?
Norman Wildberger