The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

David Bernier

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Keith Ramsay wrote:
> David Bernier wrote:
> |Am I right that the axiom schema of replacement is necessary to
> |assert the existence of some large "small cardinals"?
> |
> |As an example, the cardinal beth_{2^{aleph_0}}.
>
> No, in the sense that you could assert them separately.
> But probably you mean that the other axioms of ZFC are
> insufficient, which is true.
>
> The sets of rank <omega*2 form a model of the remaining
> axioms. The sets of rank <omega are all finite. The set of all
> sets of rank <omega, V_omega, is a countable set of rank
> omega, which could be used in place of the integers in a
> lot of constructions.
>
> The set of all sets of rank <omega+1 is the power set of the
> set of all sets of rank <omega. The set of all sets of rank
> <omega+2 is the power set of the set of all sets of rank
> <omega+1, and so on. So the set of all sets of rank <omega+k
> has cardinality beth_k. It follows of course that the sets of
> rank =omega+k also have cardinality beth_k.
>
> So there's a model of the remaining axioms in which there does
> not exist a set of cardinality beth_omega (which we could write
> as beth_{aleph_0}), let alone beth_{2^aleph_0}. One can prove
> without replacement that for each integer k>=0, there exists a
> k-fold power set of the integers. But to prove that there exists
> a function from the integers >=0 which takes k to the k-fold
> iterated power set of the integers requires the axiom of
> replacement.

Obviously, one wants ordinals of uncountable order type.
In ZC without any additional axioms, it would seem that one
can only prove the existence of von Neumann ordinals that are
countable (either finite or infinite).

So in plain ZC, what would be a good definition of an
ordinal?

David Bernier

Date Subject Author
7/12/06