The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

herbzet@cox.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Lester Zick wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 03:07:19 -0400, herbzet@cox.net wrote:
> >Lester Zick wrote:
> >> On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 14:14:26 -0600, Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:
> >> >
> >[...]
> >>
> >> Never said it did. I just said the truth of any Q demonstrated of P
> >> requires the assumption of truth for P.

> >No. P may be false and validly imply true q.

> I don't follow this. If P is false then any Q demonstrated of P is
> false too.

Let P = Margaret Thatcher is a man, and all men are politicians.
Let Q = Margaret Thatcher is a politician.

P is false, and validly implies Q, which is true.

> >> Otherwise the truth of Q
> >> remains problematic.

> >Yes.
> >

> >> It's an old and ongoing problem in Aristotelian
> >> syllogistic inference: the truth of any conclusion is only supported
> >> by the truth of the premises involved.

> >Yes and no: Q is true or false regardless of whether P implies it
> >or not. On the other hand, our _knowledge_ of the truth of Q is
> >only supported by (our knowledge of) the truth of P.

> So what do we do about it? We're still forced to rely on the truth of
> axioms for our knowledge of the truth of Q.

Yep. Usually the truth of the premises would have to be established
empirically. Unless they are analytic, logical truths. In the
case of mathematical axioms, it could be argued that the axioms
are stipulative, and possess neither truth nor falsehood, but
are only applicable in this situation or that -- that is, they
are true of some things, false of others.

> >We may be about to have a problem due to confusing a proposition "p"
> >with a formula "P".

> Formulas are proposition cast in formulaic terms.

Formulae are the forms of propositions. Some are sufficiently determined
so as to be a proposition rendered in symbolic form. Of course, all
propositions are rendered in symbolic form, when they are put into
some language or other. Well, I guess I could concretely render
the proposition "I don't like you" by beating you. Not much
symbolism there.

--
hz

'Even the crows on the roofs caw about the nature of conditionals.'

-- Callimachus --

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?