The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

namducnguyen

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Rupert wrote:

> It is absolutely obvious that there do not exist sentences which are
> true regardless of the semantics we use.

Again, I wouldn't go that far. There are sentences that upon hearing
(or "interpreting"?), a Zen Master would see them as _absolutely true_,
regardless of whatever meanings (semantics) we could throw at them.
Whether or not that's believable is something I can't say. But I'd not
venture to make the assertion such sentences would, or would not, exist.

> We could always use a semantics on which the sentence expressed
> the proposition that two plus two equals five. This is an utterly
> trivial and uninteresting point.

But one example of triviality of relativity doens't exclude the
existences of others that might be interesting and/or non-trivial.

- For interpretation/semantic-based relativity: Consider the sentence
(which could be formalized) "the lady is a witch". Now there is
a picture (i.e. a "structure") which *one* could abstractly interpret
as that of a "witch" - or alternatively a "young lady". So it doesn't
matter "the lady is a witch" is what people would _typically_ mean by
"the lady is a young lady" or vice versa. The semantics and the model
interpretation of all that is relative to who "one" is, or who
"people" are! One of the things this example could serve is some kinds
reminders:

(1) If we're deciphering an ancient Egyptian script, don't be so sure
that we could 100% correctly understand what it might mean!

(2) Be prepared for the case that we might receive alien intelligent
radio signals, *without _ever_ being able to know what the
signals might _semantically_ mean*!

(3) Suppose we correctly decipher the enemy's radio message and
it says "Tora! Tora Tora!". Should we _semantically_ interpret
that as "Tiger! Tiger! Tiger"? or as "Attack Pearl Harbour as
planned"?

- For knowledge-based relativity: using this kind of relativity,
and if we adopt a certain new arithmetic thesis, we could define
a 1st-order formula, denoted by Kon(T), whose meaning could be, imho,
"surprising"!

Let "gAI" be the new thesis which states:

If there are infinite x's that P(x)'s and infinite y's that ~P(y)'s,
then there is a z that we don't know whether P(z), or ~P(z).

Let's define:

Prim10(x) df= "x is a prime >= 10", and
P(x) df= "(x >= 10) /\ (next-to-last digit of x is 1)".

Consider the collection C of formula in L(PA):

C df= {"Prim10(10)", "Prim10(S10)", "Prim10(SS10)", ...}.

By gAi, there exists one numeral #a in which we don't know if
Prim10(#a) or ~Prim10(#a). Now then let's define Kon(PA) :

Kon(PA) df= P(#a)

Well, Kon(PA) is either provable, or is an inconsistency-formula
of the form (F1 /\ F2), where one formula is provable and the other
is not. But gAI would forbid us to know which way Kon(PA) is.
The interesting thing, to me anyway, is gAI would enable us to
_formalize_ a 1st-order formula about the unknownability (thus
knowledge-relativity) of consistency of PA, while FOL without gAI
wouldn't able to do so. I also suspect (but don't have proof) that
if T is strong enough to express arithmetic, we could also show the
existence of Kon(T), using gAI of course.

What we call 'I' is just a swinging door which moves
when we inhale and exhale.
Shunryu Suzuki

Date Subject Author
7/12/06