The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Aatu Koskensilta

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Jiri Lebl wrote:
> Lester Zick wrote:
>> Tautological combinations such as "A, not A" exhaust all possibilities
>> for truth unless I'm very much mistaken.

> Good thing you admit it. Yes you are very much mistaken. For example
> take A be the statement: "Is P(N) = aleph_1 true in ZFC".

That's a question, and non-sense at that; sentences aren't true or false
in theories. Zick is no doubt mistaken about many things, but your
rebuttal of his ideas is itself rather confused. The continuum
hypothesis does not provide an example of an A such that "A, not A" do
not exhaust all possibilities.

--
Aatu Koskensilta (aatu.koskensilta@xortec.fi)

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, daruber muss man schweigen"

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?
Norman Wildberger