The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 01:27:16 -0400, herbzet@cox.net wrote:

>Lester Zick wrote:

>> >[...]

>> >There is vast confusion in the use of the terms "relative truth",
>> >"absolute truth", "conditional truth", "unconditional truth",
>> >"trivially true", "vacuously true", "contingent truth",
>> >"necessary truth", and other locutions. It's an embarrassment.

>> I agree.
>>

>> >I addressed the topic of the relation of truth to validity
>> >in my postings to sci.logic on June 22, 23, and 24 of this year.

>> But I don't think resolution of the problem depends on inventing a new
>> term to describe problematic truth.

>1) If by "the problem" you mean the relation of truth to validity,
> that is not my solution in the postings referred to above.

I don't know what validity is supposed to mean in relation to truth.
But if it just represents some new way to say the same old thing of
assumed truth then it seems futile.

>2) In general, inventing a new term to resolve a problem may
> or may not be appropriate.

Only by concealing the old problem without correcting it. Modern
science has invented dozens of neologisms to refer to problems to
enable people to pretend they're solved without actually solving them.

>3) If by "the problem" you mean dealing with "problematic truth"
> (a new sort of "truth" to add to the list?) perhaps you're
> right.

That's what I meant.

> But, we have to admit, there's a big gray area of
> utterances that are hard to determine if they are true, or
> even meaningful.

Oh well sure. But we have to start somewhere and the easiest place to
begin would appear the mechanical foundations of mathematics and
physics in my estimation.

>> >If the website is up the three posts can be read/downloaded at
>> > http://three.fsphost.com/herbzet/
>> >
>> >or you can fight thru them at google:
>> >
>> > http://tinyurl.com/pew9y

Lester Zick