The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 01:25:46 -0400, herbzet@cox.net wrote:

>Lester Zick wrote:

>> >[...]

>> >No. P may be false and validly imply true q.

>> I don't follow this. If P is false then any Q demonstrated of P is
>> false too.

>Let P = Margaret Thatcher is a man, and all men are politicians.
>Let Q = Margaret Thatcher is a politician.
>
>P is false, and validly implies Q, which is true.

Well sure but you're using compound predicates which are false to
begin with and don't really imply Q except to the extent they're
false.If I were simply to say "Margaret Thatcher is a male politician"
the effect would be exactly the same. The proposition is just false. Q
may or may not be true but not because P is false.

>> >Yes.

>> >Yes and no: Q is true or false regardless of whether P implies it
>> >or not. On the other hand, our _knowledge_ of the truth of Q is
>> >only supported by (our knowledge of) the truth of P.

>> So what do we do about it? We're still forced to rely on the truth of
>> axioms for our knowledge of the truth of Q.

>Yep. Usually the truth of the premises would have to be established
>empirically.

Truth can't be established empirically. The only thing which can be
established empirically is inconsistency or a lack of inconsistency.

> Unless they are analytic, logical truths.

Which cannot be shown to be true through syllogistic inference.

> In the
>case of mathematical axioms, it could be argued that the axioms
>are stipulative,

Of course they're stipulative. The difficulty is that they're assumed
true.

> and possess neither truth nor falsehood, but
>are only applicable in this situation or that -- that is, they
>are true of some things, false of others.

I agree. But that leaves us not knowing which are actually true and
which not.

>> >We may be about to have a problem due to confusing a proposition "p"
>> >with a formula "P".

>> Formulas are proposition cast in formulaic terms.

>Formulae are the forms of propositions. Some are sufficiently determined
>so as to be a proposition rendered in symbolic form. Of course, all
>propositions are rendered in symbolic form, when they are put into
>some language or other. Well, I guess I could concretely render
>the proposition "I don't like you" by beating you. Not much
>symbolism there.

Not necessarily. Certainly there are those who love to be beaten.

Lester Zick
~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06