The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

herbzet@cox.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Lester Zick wrote:

> Virgil wrote:
>

> > Lester Zick wrote:
> >

> >> herbzet@cox.net wrote:

[...]

> >> Well sure but you're using compound predicates which are false to
> >> begin with

I think you mean "compound sentences" or "compound propositions".

> >> and don't really imply Q except to the extent they're
> >> false.

No. The validity of the argument does not rest on the premise being false.

> >> If I were simply to say "Margaret Thatcher is a male politician"
> >> the effect would be exactly the same.

This is correct. "Margaret Thatcher is a male politician" follows from
"Margaret Thatcher is a man, and all men are politicians".

Futhermore, the inference "Margaret Thatcher is a male politician,
therefore Margaret Thatcher is a politician" is a valid inference,
with a false premise and a true conclusion, and the validity of
the inference does not rest on the falseness of the premise.

> > Not to anyone who knows anything about logic.

Just because a lot of what Lester says is wrong, doesn't mean
everything he says is wrong. Don't let him stampede you into
pre-emptory dismissal of everything he says, as tempting as
that might be.

> But apparently to anyone who knows nothing about truth.
>

> >> The proposition is just false.

True. The proposition P is false, and "Margaret Thatcher is
a male politician" is false.

> >> Q may or may not be true

Q is true.

> >> but not because P is false.

Correct.

--
hz

'Even the crows on the roofs caw about the nature of conditionals.'

-- Callimachus --

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?