The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Rupert

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Nam Nguyen wrote:
> Rupert wrote:
>

> > It is absolutely obvious that there do not exist sentences which are
> > true regardless of the semantics we use.

> Again, I wouldn't go that far. There are sentences that upon hearing
> (or "interpreting"?), a Zen Master would see them as _absolutely true_,
> regardless of whatever meanings (semantics) we could throw at them.

That's ridiculous.

> Whether or not that's believable is something I can't say. But I'd not
> venture to make the assertion such sentences would, or would not, exist.
>

> > We could always use a semantics on which the sentence expressed
> > the proposition that two plus two equals five. This is an utterly
> > trivial and uninteresting point.

> But one example of triviality of relativity doens't exclude the
> existences of others that might be interesting and/or non-trivial.

No, of course not.

> - For interpretation/semantic-based relativity: Consider the sentence
> (which could be formalized) "the lady is a witch". Now there is
> a picture (i.e. a "structure") which *one* could abstractly interpret
> as that of a "witch" - or alternatively a "young lady". So it doesn't
> matter "the lady is a witch" is what people would _typically_ mean by
> "the lady is a young lady" or vice versa. The semantics and the model
> interpretation of all that is relative to who "one" is, or who
> "people" are! One of the things this example could serve is some kinds
> reminders:
>
> (1) If we're deciphering an ancient Egyptian script, don't be so sure
> that we could 100% correctly understand what it might mean!
>
> (2) Be prepared for the case that we might receive alien intelligent
> radio signals, *without _ever_ being able to know what the
> signals might _semantically_ mean*!
>
> (3) Suppose we correctly decipher the enemy's radio message and
> it says "Tora! Tora Tora!". Should we _semantically_ interpret
> that as "Tiger! Tiger! Tiger"? or as "Attack Pearl Harbour as
> planned"?
>
> - For knowledge-based relativity: using this kind of relativity,
> and if we adopt a certain new arithmetic thesis, we could define
> a 1st-order formula, denoted by Kon(T), whose meaning could be, imho,
> "surprising"!
>
> Let "gAI" be the new thesis which states:
>
> If there are infinite x's that P(x)'s and infinite y's that ~P(y)'s,
> then there is a z that we don't know whether P(z), or ~P(z).
>
> Let's define:
>
> Prim10(x) df= "x is a prime >= 10", and
> P(x) df= "(x >= 10) /\ (next-to-last digit of x is 1)".
>
> Consider the collection C of formula in L(PA):
>
> C df= {"Prim10(10)", "Prim10(S10)", "Prim10(SS10)", ...}.
>
> By gAi, there exists one numeral #a in which we don't know if
> Prim10(#a) or ~Prim10(#a). Now then let's define Kon(PA) :
>
> Kon(PA) df= P(#a)
>
> Well, Kon(PA) is either provable, or is an inconsistency-formula
> of the form (F1 /\ F2), where one formula is provable and the other
> is not.

I don't follow. Kon(PA) is either provable or disprovable. The only way
we could fail to know whether Prim10(#a) or ~Prim10(#a) is because we
were incapable of carrying out the computation. I don't see how you get
that Kon(PA) is of the form (F1 /\ F2). Do you mean it's equivalent to
a formula of that form?

> But gAI would forbid us to know which way Kon(PA) is.
> The interesting thing, to me anyway, is gAI would enable us to
> _formalize_ a 1st-order formula about the unknownability (thus
> knowledge-relativity) of consistency of PA,

How? A formula in what language? (It is easy to formally state the
indepdence of Con(PA) from a particular effectively given recursively
axiomatizable theory).

> while FOL without gAI
> wouldn't able to do so. I also suspect (but don't have proof) that
> if T is strong enough to express arithmetic, we could also show the
> existence of Kon(T), using gAI of course.
>
> --
>
> What we call 'I' is just a swinging door which moves
> when we inhale and exhale.
> Shunryu Suzuki

Date Subject Author
7/12/06