The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On 23 Jul 2006 23:22:40 -0700, "Rupert" <rupertmccallum@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Lester Zick wrote:

>> On 18 Jul 2006 17:47:53 -0700, "Rupert" <rupertmccallum@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>> >This is a situation where we typically consider several different
>> >models and it's natural to say what's true depends on the model.

>> A model is an inexhaustive exemplification. That's why it's the model
>> of a thing and not the thing.
>>

>> > In the
>> >case of set theory, we have a canonical semantics and we are interested
>> >in what is true with respect to this semantics. It is perfectly
>> >reasonable to believe that the axioms of set theory are true with
>> >respect to this semantics.

>> So if we sing a canonical song and claim axioms are true of the lyrics
>> we don't actually have to demonstrate the truth of the axioms but are
>> simply allowed the luxury of assuming their truth because our song is
>> canonical?
>>

>I don't know what it would mean to say that "axioms are true of the
>lyrics", but assuming it means something, then it would either be true
>or false. If we were able to demonstrate its truth, then we may as well
>take the premises we used as the axioms instead. Otherwise, we may at
>least be justified in believing the axioms to be true. The canonicity
>of the song has nothing to do with it.

Oh I agree. I can't imagine what canonicity has to do with anything
one way or the other since that's really a claim that has to be based
on righteousness. And axioms can only be righteous if they're true and
we can't know axioms true unless demonstrated.

>> ~v~~

Lester Zick
~v~~

Date Subject Author