The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 23:24:56 -0400, herbzet@cox.net wrote:

>Lester Zick wrote:

>> Virgil wrote:

>[...]

>I think you mean "compound sentences" or "compound propositions".

No. I mean compound predicates.

>No. The validity of the argument does not rest on the premise being false.

The invalidity of the argument does.

>This is correct. "Margaret Thatcher is a male politician" follows from
>"Margaret Thatcher is a man, and all men are politicians".

Not exactly. It's the other way around.

>Futhermore, the inference "Margaret Thatcher is a male politician,
>therefore Margaret Thatcher is a politician" is a valid inference,
>with a false premise and a true conclusion, and the validity of
>the inference does not rest on the falseness of the premise.

I don't exactly follow where you're getting all this. It sounds like
some kind of syllogistic word game to you. You have a false
conclusion: "Margaret Thatcher is a male politician". Period. Nothing
necessarily follows from anything except the fact of falseness. So
wherever you think you got the conclusion is immaterial. It doesn't
necessarily depend on whatever you think because it's wrong.

>> > Not to anyone who knows anything about logic.
>
>Just because a lot of what Lester says is wrong, doesn't mean
>everything he says is wrong. Don't let him stampede you into
>pre-emptory dismissal of everything he says, as tempting as
>that might be.

Oh hell. Go right ahead and let me stampede you into peremptory
dismissal of everything I say. It's pretty obvious the mathematikers
around here are about as lazy and stupid as their faith based systems
of math would suggest.

>> But apparently to anyone who knows nothing about truth.

>True. The proposition P is false, and "Margaret Thatcher is
>a male politician" is false.

>Q is true.

Jesus who cares? Just because you mix up some middle terms (I should
say muddle terms) with the same spelling? Obviously you don't get your
incorrect conclusion by stringing random clauses together. This is one
of the really stupid problems associated with syllogistic inference. Q
may be true but Q is not true of P because P is false. In other words
if Q is true (and it is) it isn't because it's a component of P.

>Correct.
>

>> >It is the compound proposition "If P then Q" whose truth is under
>> >consideration, and for the P and Q given, "If P then Q" is true.

Lester Zick
~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06