The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

herbzet@cox.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Lester Zick wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 23:24:56 -0400, herbzet@cox.net wrote:

> >[...]

> >I think you mean "compound sentences" or "compound propositions".

> No. I mean compound predicates.

1) Since when are predicates true or false?

2) What compound predicates am I using?

3) What's a compound predicate?

> >No. The validity of the argument does not rest on the premise being false.

> The invalidity of the argument does.

-- ?????????--

> >This is correct. "Margaret Thatcher is a male politician" follows from
> >"Margaret Thatcher is a man, and all men are politicians".

> Not exactly. It's the other way around.

Oh, I get it. You're a comedian!!!

> >Futhermore, the inference "Margaret Thatcher is a male politician,
> >therefore Margaret Thatcher is a politician" is a valid inference,
> >with a false premise and a true conclusion, and the validity of
> >the inference does not rest on the falseness of the premise.

> I don't exactly follow where you're getting all this. It sounds like
> some kind of syllogistic word game to you. You have a false
> conclusion: "Margaret Thatcher is a male politician". Period. Nothing
> necessarily follows from anything except the fact of falseness. So
> wherever you think you got the conclusion is immaterial. It doesn't
> necessarily depend on whatever you think because it's wrong.

Thanx. I needed a good laugh. This is really good stuff.

> >Just because a lot of what Lester says is wrong, doesn't mean
> >everything he says is wrong. Don't let him stampede you into
> >pre-emptory dismissal of everything he says, as tempting as
> >that might be.

> Oh hell. Go right ahead and let me stampede you into peremptory
> dismissal of everything I say. It's pretty obvious the mathematikers
> around here are about as lazy and stupid as their faith based systems
> of math would suggest.
>

> >> But apparently to anyone who knows nothing about truth.

> >True. The proposition P is false, and "Margaret Thatcher is
> >a male politician" is false.

> >Q is true.

> Jesus who cares? Just because you mix up some middle terms (I should
> say muddle terms) with the same spelling? Obviously you don't get your
> incorrect conclusion by stringing random clauses together. This is one
> of the really stupid problems associated with syllogistic inference. Q
> may be true but Q is not true of P because P is false.

Beautiful!

> In other words
> if Q is true (and it is) it isn't because it's a component of P.

You're right, even though Q is a component of P.

> >Correct.

> Lester Zick
> ~v~~

BTW, what does "~v~~" mean?

--
hz

'Even the crows on the roofs caw about the nature of conditionals.'

-- Callimachus --

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?