The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

namducnguyen

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Rupert wrote:
> Nam Nguyen wrote:
>

>>Rupert wrote:
>>

>> > It is absolutely obvious that there do not exist sentences which are
>> > true regardless of the semantics we use.

>>Again, I wouldn't go that far. There are sentences that upon hearing
>>(or "interpreting"?), a Zen Master would see them as _absolutely true_,
>>regardless of whatever meanings (semantics) we could throw at them.

> That's ridiculous.

To whom? and why?

So, for an analogy, you don't think the statement Ex(x > 0) could have
multiple semantics (meanings) and yet still refers to the same truth?

>>- For knowledge-based relativity: using this kind of relativity,
>> and if we adopt a certain new arithmetic thesis, we could define
>> a 1st-order formula, denoted by Kon(T), whose meaning could be, imho,
>> "surprising"!
>>
>> Let "gAI" be the new thesis which states:
>>
>> If there are infinite x's that P(x)'s and infinite y's that ~P(y)'s,
>> then there is a z that we don't know whether P(z), or ~P(z).
>>
>> Let's define:
>>
>> Prim10(x) df= "x is a prime >= 10", and
>> P(x) df= "(x >= 10) /\ (next-to-last digit of x is 1)".
>>
>> Consider the collection C of formula in L(PA):
>>
>> C df= {"Prim10(10)", "Prim10(S10)", "Prim10(SS10)", ...}.
>>
>> By gAi, there exists one numeral #a in which we don't know if
>> Prim10(#a) or ~Prim10(#a). Now then let's define Kon(PA) :
>>
>> Kon(PA) df= P(#a)
>>
>> Well, Kon(PA) is either provable, or is an inconsistency-formula
>> of the form (F1 /\ F2), where one formula is provable and the other
>> is not.

> I don't follow. Kon(PA) is either provable or disprovable. The only way
> we could fail to know whether Prim10(#a) or ~Prim10(#a) is because we
> were incapable of carrying out the computation. I don't see how you get
> that Kon(PA) is of the form (F1 /\ F2). Do you mean it's equivalent to
> a formula of that form?

First I'd to make a correction to part of your paragraph above:
"we _will_ fail to know...", instead of "we could fail to know...",
and "we _are_ incapable..." instead of "we were incapable...".
Now about your puzzlement why Kon(PA) is of the form (F1 /\ F2):
don't you see the symbol "/\" in the definition P(x) above?

>>But gAI would forbid us to know which way Kon(PA) is.
>> The interesting thing, to me anyway, is gAI would enable us to
>> _formalize_ a 1st-order formula about the unknownability (thus
>> knowledge-relativity) of consistency of PA,

> How? A formula in what language? (It is easy to formally state the
> indepdence of Con(PA) from a particular effectively given recursively
> axiomatizable theory).

The word "PA" means by default we're using L(PA). Also, we're talking
about Kon(PA), *not* Con(PA); the two are not the same.

What we call 'I' is just a swinging door which moves
when we inhale and exhale.
Shunryu Suzuki

Date Subject Author
7/12/06