The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

herbzet@cox.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Lester Zick wrote:

> herbzet@cox.net wrote:

> >> No. I mean compound predicates.

> >1) Since when are predicates true or false?

> Predicates are always true, false, or ambiguous in relation to one
> another.
>

> >2) What compound predicates am I using?
>
> All the words used in P and Q represent compound predicates used in
> relation to one another.
>

> >3) What's a compound predicate?
>
> "Red car" is a compound predicate. P and Q both contain several
> predicates used in relation to one another as well as each other.

> >> The invalidity of the argument does.

> > -- ?????????--

> Well Q "MT is a politician" may be true but isn't derived from P. The
> combination of predicates in P includes false predicate combinations.
> The best we can say is P contains certain true predicate combinations
> which can be deduced as Q under appropriate contingencies but not that
> Q is necessarily implied under all contingencies from P.

> >> Not exactly. It's the other way around.

> >Oh, I get it. You're a comedian!!!

> Not really although I do get plenty of laughs. What I meant was that
> premises are drawn from conclusions and not vice versa. Mechanically
> we form various judgments tautologically and progressively regress
> them tautologically until various consistent complementary constituent
> premises emerge. This is in contrast to the conventional synthetic
> view of syllogistic inference fostered by Aristotle. Mechanically our
> brains do not put predicate combinations together as premises to form
> conclusions but to validate conclusions analytically.

> >> I don't exactly follow where you're getting all this. It sounds like
> >> some kind of syllogistic word game to you. You have a false
> >> conclusion: "Margaret Thatcher is a male politician". Period. Nothing
> >> necessarily follows from anything except the fact of falseness. So
> >> wherever you think you got the conclusion is immaterial. It doesn't
> >> necessarily depend on whatever you think because it's wrong.

> >Thanx. I needed a good laugh. This is really good stuff.

> Aha! But unbeknownst to you the brain really works this way
> mechanically. It works through tautological regression and not through
> syllogistic inference as is commonly supposed.

Thank you for the explanation, both here and above.

> >> Oh hell. Go right ahead and let me stampede you into peremptory
> >> dismissal of everything I say. It's pretty obvious the mathematikers
> >> around here are about as lazy and stupid as their faith based systems
> >> of math would suggest.

> >> Jesus who cares? Just because you mix up some middle terms (I should
> >> say muddle terms) with the same spelling? Obviously you don't get your
> >> incorrect conclusion by stringing random clauses together. This is one
> >> of the really stupid problems associated with syllogistic inference. Q
> >> may be true but Q is not true of P because P is false.

> >Beautiful!

> But true.
>

> >> In other words
> >> if Q is true (and it is) it isn't because it's a component of P.

> >You're right, even though Q is a component of P.

> Where do you see Q in P?

Don't you see it? Your previous sentence ("In other words if Q is
true..." etc.) is ambiguous in that regard.

--
hz

'Even the crows on the roofs caw about the nature of conditionals.'

-- Callimachus --

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?