The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Rupert

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Nam Nguyen wrote:
> Rupert wrote:
> > Nam Nguyen wrote:

> >>Again, I wouldn't go that far. There are sentences that upon hearing
> >>(or "interpreting"?), a Zen Master would see them as _absolutely true_,
> >>regardless of whatever meanings (semantics) we could throw at them.

> > That's ridiculous.

> To whom? and why?

To any person of good sense, because it is obvious we could always come
up with a semantics on which the sentence would be false. For example,
the semantics on which the sentences means "two plus two equals five".

> So, for an analogy, you don't think the statement Ex(x > 0) could have
> multiple semantics (meanings) and yet still refers to the same truth?

There will exist a semantics under which it expresses a different
proposition, and there will exist a semantics under which it expresses
a false proposition.

> >>- For knowledge-based relativity: using this kind of relativity,
> >> and if we adopt a certain new arithmetic thesis, we could define
> >> a 1st-order formula, denoted by Kon(T), whose meaning could be, imho,
> >> "surprising"!
> >>
> >> Let "gAI" be the new thesis which states:
> >>
> >> If there are infinite x's that P(x)'s and infinite y's that ~P(y)'s,
> >> then there is a z that we don't know whether P(z), or ~P(z).
> >>
> >> Let's define:
> >>
> >> Prim10(x) df= "x is a prime >= 10", and
> >> P(x) df= "(x >= 10) /\ (next-to-last digit of x is 1)".
> >>
> >> Consider the collection C of formula in L(PA):
> >>
> >> C df= {"Prim10(10)", "Prim10(S10)", "Prim10(SS10)", ...}.
> >>
> >> By gAi, there exists one numeral #a in which we don't know if
> >> Prim10(#a) or ~Prim10(#a). Now then let's define Kon(PA) :
> >>
> >> Kon(PA) df= P(#a)
> >>
> >> Well, Kon(PA) is either provable, or is an inconsistency-formula
> >> of the form (F1 /\ F2), where one formula is provable and the other
> >> is not.

> > I don't follow. Kon(PA) is either provable or disprovable. The only way
> > we could fail to know whether Prim10(#a) or ~Prim10(#a) is because we
> > were incapable of carrying out the computation. I don't see how you get
> > that Kon(PA) is of the form (F1 /\ F2). Do you mean it's equivalent to
> > a formula of that form?

> First I'd to make a correction to part of your paragraph above:
> "we _will_ fail to know...", instead of "we could fail to know...",
> and "we _are_ incapable..." instead of "we were incapable...".

What I said is just fine, thanks. I was using the subjunctive mood.

> Now about your puzzlement why Kon(PA) is of the form (F1 /\ F2):
> don't you see the symbol "/\" in the definition P(x) above?

Yes, I apologize. Somehow I thought Kon(PA) was of the form Prim10(#a)
rather than P(#a).

> >>But gAI would forbid us to know which way Kon(PA) is.
> >> The interesting thing, to me anyway, is gAI would enable us to
> >> _formalize_ a 1st-order formula about the unknownability (thus
> >> knowledge-relativity) of consistency of PA,

> > How? A formula in what language? (It is easy to formally state the
> > indepdence of Con(PA) from a particular effectively given recursively
> > axiomatizable theory).

> The word "PA" means by default we're using L(PA). Also, we're talking
> about Kon(PA), *not* Con(PA); the two are not the same.

Well, how on earth do you propose to talk about knowledge in the
first-order language of arithmetic?

> --
>
> What we call 'I' is just a swinging door which moves
> when we inhale and exhale.
> Shunryu Suzuki

Date Subject Author
7/12/06