The Math Forum

Topic: A new, physics-based approach to analyzing simple games
Replies: 4   Last Post: Jul 25, 2006 9:16 PM

Toni Lassila

Re: A new, physics-based approach to analyzing simple games

On 24 Jul 2006 15:04:29 -0700, "Proginoskes" <CCHeckman@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Sam Wormley wrote:
>> [Mathematics]
>> Chaotic Chomp: The mathematics of crystal growth sheds light on a tantalizing game
>>
>> A new, physics-based approach to analyzing simple games, such as
>> Chomp and Nim, reveals changing geometric patterns reminiscent of
>> crystal growth.
>> http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20060722/bob10.asp

>Stephen Locke and one of his grad students are working on the Chomp
>problem.
>
>Nim was solved a long time ago, maybe by John Horton Conway.

I would rather think that honor goes to Roland P. Sprague and P. M.
Grundy.