The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Rupert

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Lester Zick wrote:
> On 20 Jul 2006 18:33:55 -0700, "Rupert" <rupertmccallum@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

> >Lester Zick wrote:

> >> I didn't say "contestable assumption". What I said was "assumption".
> >> Assumptions refer to a lack of demonstration.

> >In some contexts, perhaps. In some contexts I would have thought it
> >also implied that there was some room for reasonable doubt.

> Not sure I follow the objection. An assumption is an assumption.
> Assumptions are always contestable.

It is not necessarily the case that there is reasonable doubt about an
assumption.

> >> You certainly assume
> >> what you don't demonstrate by calling it obvious.

> >It is obvious to any person of good sense.

> "Good sense" is nothing more than "obvious" by any other name. It's
> still an assumption and as an assumption it is still contestable to
> the extent it's demonstrable by regression to further assumptions.

There is no reasonable doubt about it. It is obvious to any person of
good sense. Do you have any doubt about it? If so, what are your
reasons?

> >> Obviously it is a
> >> canonical assumption on your part that what you say is true. Whether
> >> it is actually true or not however remains to be seen.
> >>

> >You have some doubt about it, do you? Would you like to elaborate on
> >this?

> Some doubt about what?

About the claim we were talking about, that given a sentence we can
always find a semantics under which it will be false.

> I always have doubts about assumptions until
> they're demonstrable by regression to something other than further
> assumptions.

How do you demonstrate something if not from some premises?

> >> If you would be so good as to clarify what Nam thinks "absolute truth"
> >> means I'll try to supply it.

> >As I said, Nam Nguyen seems to be using "absolute truth" to mean
> >"something that is true independently of which semantics we use".
> >Obviously no such thing exists.

> Well we have no choice but to use semantics in the course of
> demonstration. So I imagine any demonstration of absolute truth has to
> be subject to semantical considerations in this regard. But that
> doesn't necessarily mean the absolute truth demonstrated semantically
> is any the less true. The semantics themselves have to be demonstrably
> true as well in this context. If we use semantics of circular logic
> obviously the demonstration will be no more valid than the semantics
> involved. Demonstrations of absolute truth in universal terms will
> have to depend on finding a semantics which regresses finitely for
> strictly mechanical reasons.

Can't understand a word you're talking about.

> >> It may or may not be "different to" what
> >> others think but I have no doubt it will be "different from" what you,
> >> Nam, and others think.

> >> What claim were you referring to?

> >When? I can't see where I mentioned any claim. Quote me referring to a
> >claim and I'll tell you what claim I was referring to.

> I'm not clear who said what at this point. The request I make directly
> above refers to clarification of "What claim?" and it's preceeding
> comment above. The only general claim I've made so far is that
> alternatives to what is absolutely false must perforce be universally
> and absolutely true.

You said "The claim I make is intended literally and exactly." I said
"What claim?"

> >> We seem to be in a "he said/she
> >> said" mode at this point where it's difficult to discern what each of
> >> us is referring to. My claim in general terms is that the alternative
> >> to absolute falseness is universally true.
> >>

> >What do "absolute falseness" and "universally true" mean?

> They're tautological alternatives in that what is not absolutely false
> must perforce be universally and absolutely true.

But what does it take for something to be one or the other?

> ~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?