The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Aatu Koskensilta

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Gc wrote:
> We know that every set of reals is in some sense countable according to
> Skolem`s paradox, I mean that there is a bijection between the real and
> naturals if naturals are outside of model of set theory.

We know no such thing. By the Löwenheim-Skolem theorem any model of set
theory has a countable elementary substructure. How do you get from this
that "every set of reals is in some sense countable"?

> Still Cantor`s
> theorem in set theory, which is of course valid, says that the reals
> are uncountable. To me it seems that there is a theorem in set theory
> that can`t be true in sense I understand you see it. You have said
> before that the axioms of set theory are true. How can you explain this
> - or am I missing something?

Countable models of set theory are entirely irrelevant to the
uncountability of the reals.

--
Aatu Koskensilta (aatu.koskensilta@xortec.fi)

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, daruber muss man schweigen"

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?
Norman Wildberger