The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Gc

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Aatu Koskensilta kirjoitti:

> Gc wrote:
> > We know that every set of reals is in some sense countable according to
> > Skolem`s paradox, I mean that there is a bijection between the real and
> > naturals if naturals are outside of model of set theory.

> We know no such thing. By the Löwenheim-Skolem theorem any model of set
> theory has a countable elementary substructure. How do you get from this
> that "every set of reals is in some sense countable"?

Mathematical logic, Shoenfield, page 79, section 5.4: "We can certainly
formalize enough mathematics in a countable theory to prove that the
set of real numbers in uncountable. How can such a theory have a
countable model? The explanation is this. The set of real numbers in
the model is indeed countable, and therefore there is a bijective
mapping from it to the set of natural numbers. But this mapping is not
in the model; so it doesn`t make invalid the theorem of the theory
which states that there is no bijective mapping from the set of real
numbers to the set of natural numbers."

> > Still Cantor`s
> > theorem in set theory, which is of course valid, says that the reals
> > are uncountable. To me it seems that there is a theorem in set theory
> > that can`t be true in sense I understand you see it. You have said
> > before that the axioms of set theory are true. How can you explain this
> > - or am I missing something?

> Countable models of set theory are entirely irrelevant to the
> uncountability of the reals.

I don`t understand how, if what Shoenfield says is true.

> --
> Aatu Koskensilta (aatu.koskensilta@xortec.fi)
>
> "Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, daruber muss man schweigen"
> - Ludwig Wittgenstein, Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?
Norman Wildberger