The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 02:35:24 +0100, herbzet@cox.net wrote:

>Lester Zick wrote:

>>herbzet@cox.net wrote:

>> >Lester Zick wrote:

>[...]

>> >Thank you for the explanation, both here and above.

>> Well I'm confident you're being ironic.

>I'm being polite.

I understand. But I'm being literal. I sense an interest on your part
in the actual mechanics here. And I'd like to reply to your examples
and comments below critically. But it'll take a little time to examine
them in detail.

>> But the fact is that
>> tautological mechanics are exactly what underlies the whole cerebral
>> process we describe in syllogistic terms. In any even I won't belabor
>> the point with those convinced otherwise.

>[...]

>> >Don't you see it? Your previous sentence ("In other words if Q is
>> >true..." etc.) is ambiguous in that regard.

>> Well the fact is that I don't see it. I see how it might be inferred
>> given collateral judgments. But I just don't see the actual Q you
>> describe anywhere literally in P. That's been the focus of my problem
>> with your contention all along.

>Well, the terms "component" and "literally" are not rigorously defined,
>AFAIK, so it's possible we don't disagree.
>
>Take the two sentences
>
>1) Jones smokes.
>2) Jones smokes.
>
>Obviously, (1) and (2) are distinct occurrences of the same sentence.
>Are they "literally" the same? It could be argued that they differ,
>at least in their placement on the page (or screen), and so are not
>literally the same.
>
>If we say that they _are_ literally the same, then in that sense Q
>("Margaret Thatcher is a politician") does not literally occur
>in P ("Margaret Thatcher is a man, and all men are politicians"),
>nor does it occur in (if I may) P' = "Margaret Thatcher is a
>male politician". If we take "is a component of" to mean
>"occurs literally in" (in this sense) then Q is not a component
>of P.
>
>If, on the other hand, we take "is a component of" in a somewhat
>looser sense, such as "is (logically) equivalent to a part (or
>subformula) of" then it can be shown that Q is a component of
>P and of P'.
>
>E.g., "Margaret Thatcher is a male politician" is clearly
>equivalent, logically, to "Margaret Thatcher is a man, and
>Margaret Thatcher is a politician." In this formulation, Q
>("Margaret Thatcher is a politician") is clearly a component,
>in this last sense, to a part of a sentence that is logically
>equivalent to P'.

Lester Zick
~v~~

Date Subject Author