The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

herbzet@cox.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Lester Zick wrote:

> herbzet@cox.net wrote:

[...]

> >> Well the fact is that I don't see it. I see how it might be inferred
> >> given collateral judgments. But I just don't see the actual Q you
> >> describe anywhere literally in P. That's been the focus of my problem
> >> with your contention all along.

> >Well, the terms "component" and "literally" are not rigorously defined,
> >AFAIK, so it's possible we don't disagree.
> >
> >Take the two sentences
> >
> >1) Jones smokes.
> >2) Jones smokes.
> >
> >Obviously, (1) and (2) are distinct occurrences of the same sentence.
> >Are they "literally" the same? It could be argued that they differ,
> >at least in their placement on the page (or screen), and so are not
> >literally the same.
> >
> >If we say that they _are_ literally the same, then in that sense Q
> >("Margaret Thatcher is a politician") does not literally occur
> >in P ("Margaret Thatcher is a man, and all men are politicians"),
> >nor does it occur in (if I may) P' = "Margaret Thatcher is a
> >male politician". If we take "is a component of" to mean
> >"occurs literally in" (in this sense) then Q is not a component
> >of P.
> >
> >If, on the other hand, we take "is a component of" in a somewhat
> >looser sense, such as "is (logically) equivalent to a part (or
> >subformula) of" then it can be shown that Q is a component of
> >P and of P'.
> >
> >E.g., "Margaret Thatcher is a male politician" is clearly
> >equivalent, logically, to "Margaret Thatcher is a man, and
> >Margaret Thatcher is a politician." In this formulation, Q
> >("Margaret Thatcher is a politician") is clearly a component,
> >in this last sense, to a part of a sentence that is logically
> >equivalent to P'.

> Okay I can see what you're getting at now. But my take on the problem
> would be that in your p "MT is a male politician" the predicate "male"
> designates a subset of the predicate "politician" and the predicate
> "MT" designates a subset of "male politician".

I don't think so. The predicate "male politician" designates the
intersection of the predicates (when taken extensionally) "male"
and "politician" (and so is a subset of both). "Margaret Thatcher"
is not a predicate, it is the subject term of the sentence. Also,
the reference of the term "Margaret Thatcher" is, presumably, not a set,
and hence, not a subset of anything. She is not an element of the set
of male politicians, which p' falsely and explicitly asserts, and
which p falsely and implicitly asserts.

> And I think the question
> to be answered is exactly how the compounding of predicates is done in
> real mechanical terms and not just in terms of logical equivalence.
>
> In other words the conjunction "and" does not just fall out of thin
> air. It designates separate disjoint operations which are compounded.

Not following you at all, in either of these last two sentences.

> And I think the order of predication

I don't think there is an order of predication, or if there is,
I don't think it matters in this context. In english it is more
natural to say "male politician" than "politician male": I don't
know why. But "MT is a politician, and MT is a man" is as
natural as "MT is a man, and MT is a politician" and is equivalent
in meaning.

> designates "male politician"
> first and "MT" as a subset of that subset second such that nowhere is
> there any objective indication of "MT is a politician".

If all swans are birds, then if there is a black swan, there is
a black bird, no?

> If you are to maintain otherwise I suspect we could find all sorts of
> potential logical equivalences which might be implied within any
> predication whether or not designated objectively.

Again, not following you.

--
hz

'Even the crows on the roofs caw about the nature of conditionals.'

-- Callimachus --

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?