The Math Forum

Topic: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Replies: 115   Last Post: Aug 7, 2006 1:30 AM

David Petry

Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics

herbzet wrote:
> david petry wrote:
> >

> [...]
>

> > 2) Godel's Theorem (loosely, no consistent formalism can prove its own
> > consistency) Informally, our skeptic claims, a proof is a compelling
> > argument. It seems clear to our skeptic that if we are to believe that
> > the formal theorems in our formalism should be accepted as compelling
> > arguments, then at the very least it must be the case that we already
> > believe that our formalism is consistent, and hence, no possible formal
> > proof within that formalism could be considered to be the evidence that
> > compels us to believe that the formalism is consistent.

> This last sentence is well-written. I strongly agree with it,
> though it's possible that I might consider such a proof to be
> in the nature of corroborating evidence.
>

> > And our skeptic
> > asks, is that not already the essential content of Godel's theorem?

> No.

The pretense of this article is that a skeptic who has read popular
books on mathematics is asking the question. She believes that
mathematics must be justified by helping us understand the observable
world in which we live. Your answer is rather unsatisfying to her.

Date Subject Author
7/25/06
Read Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David Petry
7/25/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
fishfry
7/25/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Dr. David Kirkby
7/25/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Dr. David Kirkby
7/25/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
lloyd
7/25/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Doug Schwarz
7/25/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Virgil
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Mike Kelly
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David Petry
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Gene Ward Smith
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Brian Quincy Hutchings
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
dkfjdklj@yahoo.com
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David Petry
7/28/06
[...]
Gerry Myerson
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David Petry
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Randy Poe
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
mensanator
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Richard Herring
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
mensanator
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Richard Herring
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Gene Ward Smith
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David Petry
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Patricia Shanahan
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Gene Ward Smith
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Dr. David Kirkby
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Randy Poe
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Rotwang
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Han de Bruijn
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Barb Knox
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
zr
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Virgil
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Gene Ward Smith
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
zr
8/1/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Virgil
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
T.H. Ray
7/31/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Brian Quincy Hutchings
7/31/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
T.H. Ray
8/1/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Brian Quincy Hutchings
8/1/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David R Tribble
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Gene Ward Smith
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Ioannis
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Dr. David Kirkby
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
zr
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Dave Rusin
8/1/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David Bernier
8/1/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David R Tribble
8/2/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Ioannis
7/31/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Han de Bruijn
8/2/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
R. Srinivasan
8/3/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Rupert
8/4/06
[...]
herbzet@cox.net
8/4/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
R. Srinivasan
8/6/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Newberry
8/4/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Jack Markan
8/4/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Brian Quincy Hutchings
8/7/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
R. Srinivasan
8/4/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Mike Kelly
8/5/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
R. Srinivasan
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
bogus address
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Gene Ward Smith
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
mensanator
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
T.H. Ray
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/29/06
[...]
toni.lassila@gmail.com
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Bennett Standeven
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Brian Quincy Hutchings
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Rotwang
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Craig Feinstein
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Toni Lassila
7/27/06
[...]
LauLuna
7/30/06