The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

namducnguyen

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Rupert wrote:
> Nam Nguyen wrote:
>

>>Rupert wrote:

>>>That's ridiculous.

>>To whom? and why?

> To any person of good sense, because it is obvious we could always come
> up with a semantics on which the sentence would be false. For example,
> the semantics on which the sentences means "two plus two equals five".

Yes. But you're talking about relative truth/falsehood here. So you
still haven't answer *why* it's ridiculous that a Zen Master would see
_absolute truth_ upon hearing a sentence, no matter what semantics
we could assign to the sentence. (Going from a subjective "ridiculous"
to another subjective "of good sense" seems circular to me. As well as
using "because it is obvious..." to explain "It is absolutely
obvious..."!)

>>So, for an analogy, you don't think the statement Ex(x > 0) could have
>>multiple semantics (meanings) and yet still refers to the same truth?
>>

> There will exist a semantics under which it expresses a different
> proposition, and there will exist a semantics under which it expresses
> a false proposition.

>>>I don't follow. Kon(PA) is either provable or disprovable. The only way
>>>we could fail to know whether Prim10(#a) or ~Prim10(#a) is because we
>>>were incapable of carrying out the computation. I don't see how you get
>>>that Kon(PA) is of the form (F1 /\ F2). Do you mean it's equivalent to
>>>a formula of that form?

>>First I'd to make a correction to part of your paragraph above:
>>"we _will_ fail to know...", instead of "we could fail to know...",
>>and "we _are_ incapable..." instead of "we were incapable...".

> What I said is just fine, thanks. I was using the subjunctive mood.
>

>>Now about your puzzlement why Kon(PA) is of the form (F1 /\ F2):
>>don't you see the symbol "/\" in the definition P(x) above?
>>

> Yes, I apologize. Somehow I thought Kon(PA) was of the form Prim10(#a)
> rather than P(#a).

>>>How? A formula in what language? (It is easy to formally state the
>>>indepdence of Con(PA) from a particular effectively given recursively
>>>axiomatizable theory).

>>The word "PA" means by default we're using L(PA). Also, we're talking
>>about Kon(PA), *not* Con(PA); the two are not the same.

> Well, how on earth do you propose to talk about knowledge in the
> first-order language of arithmetic?

Isn't it true though that L(PA) and the 1st-order language of arithmetic
are identical, up to isomorphism between their non-logical symbols?

>>--
>>-----------------------------------------------------
>>
>>What we call 'I' is just a swinging door which moves
>>when we inhale and exhale.
>> Shunryu Suzuki
>>----------------------------------------------------

Date Subject Author