The Math Forum

Topic: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Replies: 115   Last Post: Aug 7, 2006 1:30 AM

Rupert

Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics

david petry wrote:
> Is there any reason to be skeptical about modern mathematics? Is it
> possible that modern mathematics is culturally biased? Is it possible
> that there is an element of fraud in modern mathematics? Has
> mathematics become clever argumentation with no concrete content?
>
> I'm like the reader to consider the possibility that the answer to all
> those questions is yes.
>
> First of all, it would be absurd to say that the modern academic system
> based on peer review would preclude fraud and cultural bias. The "Sokal
> Affair" seems to have proven that when academic writing becomes
> indistinguishable to the non-expert from buzzword salad, then it's
> likely that even experts can be fooled. (see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokal_Affair) Even physicists can be
> fooled (see http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/bogdanoff/ )

The question of whether an argument goes through in a particular formal
system is an objective matter which qualified people will come to agree
on. There is no reason to think that any fraud is going on in the
process of peer review. If you don't like a particular formal system,
you are welcome to raise philosophical objections to it. If you think
that a result that has been accepted as provable in a particular formal
system is in fact not provable in this formal system, you are welcome
to point out the flaw in the argument. Unsubstantiated accusations of
fraud are ridiculous.

Date Subject Author
7/25/06
Read Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David Petry
7/25/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
fishfry
7/25/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Dr. David Kirkby
7/25/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Dr. David Kirkby
7/25/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
lloyd
7/25/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Doug Schwarz
7/25/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Virgil
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Mike Kelly
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David Petry
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Gene Ward Smith
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Brian Quincy Hutchings
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
dkfjdklj@yahoo.com
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David Petry
7/28/06
[...]
Gerry Myerson
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David Petry
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Randy Poe
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
mensanator
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Richard Herring
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
mensanator
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Richard Herring
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Gene Ward Smith
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David Petry
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Patricia Shanahan
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Gene Ward Smith
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Dr. David Kirkby
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Randy Poe
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Rotwang
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Han de Bruijn
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Barb Knox
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
zr
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Virgil
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Gene Ward Smith
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
zr
8/1/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Virgil
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
T.H. Ray
7/31/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Brian Quincy Hutchings
7/31/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
T.H. Ray
8/1/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Brian Quincy Hutchings
8/1/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David R Tribble
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Gene Ward Smith
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Ioannis
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Dr. David Kirkby
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
zr
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Dave Rusin
8/1/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David Bernier
8/1/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David R Tribble
8/2/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Ioannis
7/31/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Han de Bruijn
8/2/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
R. Srinivasan
8/3/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Rupert
8/4/06
[...]
herbzet@cox.net
8/4/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
R. Srinivasan
8/6/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Newberry
8/4/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Jack Markan
8/4/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Brian Quincy Hutchings
8/7/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
R. Srinivasan
8/4/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Mike Kelly
8/5/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
R. Srinivasan
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
bogus address
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Gene Ward Smith
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
mensanator
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
T.H. Ray
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/29/06
[...]
toni.lassila@gmail.com
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Bennett Standeven
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Brian Quincy Hutchings
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Rotwang
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Craig Feinstein
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Toni Lassila
7/27/06
[...]
LauLuna
7/30/06