The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On 27 Jul 2006 15:42:08 -0700, "Rupert" <rupertmccallum@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Nam Nguyen wrote:

>> Rupert wrote:

>> > I think when these debates take place people are usually getting
>> > interested in absolute truth in a different sense to the sense you're
>> > talking about.

>> Would you be able to give a specific example of another different
>> sense, in which an *absolute* truth could be defined and be interested
>> by *more than one person*?
>>

>I'm not sure *exactly* what people have in mind when they're talking
>about absolute truth. But they're obviously not talking about truth
>independent of the semantics. I think they mean independent of human
>minds, human culture, that sort of thing.

If they mean independent of human minds, human culture, and that sort
of thing what do you mean by not independent of the semantics and why
obviously so?

Lester Zick
~v~~

Date Subject Author