The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On 27 Jul 2006 15:39:51 -0700, "Rupert" <rupertmccallum@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Lester Zick wrote:

>> On 23 Jul 2006 23:13:18 -0700, "Rupert" <rupertmccallum@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>> >The axioms are true.

>> How do you know?
>>

>That's a good question. One of these days I'll write a paper about why
>we're justified in believing the axioms to be true. In the meantime,
>Michael Potter's "Set Theory and its Philosophy" is worth a look.

That you believe axioms are true and believe we're justified in
believing axioms doesn't make their truth anything more than
assumptions of axiomatic truth and assumptions that we're justified in
believing they're true whereas what you said is that they are true.

>> >Axioms, by definition, are not demonstrated. Axioms are where
>> >demonstration starts. There can be good nondemonstrative arguments for
>> >or against them.

>> In the end nothing but a lot of dialectical handwaving.
>>

>No. Your comment that there is no reason why axioms should be
>undemonstrable was silly, and I was explaining why.

You can't demonstrate that axioms are true but simply state that they
are true but my comment was silly?

>> Lester Zick
>> ~v~~

Lester Zick