The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 04:22:45 +0100, herbzet@cox.net wrote:

> [...]

>> >I don't think there is an order of predication, or if there is,
>> >I don't think it matters in this context. In english it is more
>> >natural to say "male politician" than "politician male": I don't
>> >know why. But "MT is a politician, and MT is a man" is as
>> >natural as "MT is a man, and MT is a politician" and is equivalent
>> >in meaning.

>> I don't necessarily disagree however see above.

>> >If all swans are birds, then if there is a black swan, there is
>> >a black bird, no?

>> Yes this form of positive predication is legitimate. Where syllogistic
>> inference gets into difficulties is with negative predications.

>What is negative predication? Is "Jones does not smoke" negative
>predication? How does syllogistic inference get into difficulty
>through negative predication?

>> >Again, not following you.

>> Well let's say in your example "MT is a male" and "MT is a politician"
>> are both included of necessity in your predication.

>My >>premise<< is "MT is a man and all men are politicians". My

>>>conclusion<< is "MT is a politician".
>
>> What about the
>> conjunction "and"?Is it not a necessary part of your basic predication
>> as well? In other words given "MT is a male politician" are we not
>> looking at the mechanically conjoined predicates "male politician" of
>> necessity and if so how can we disjoin them mechanically just because
>> there can be other conceivable logical reductions of those predicates
>> in other contexts? Once you've reduced the intersection of subsets to
>> "MT is a male politician" you no longer have the sets themselves to
>> work with so you can't really say you have any other constituent
>> predicates to work with. In other words once you've predicated
>> something the original sets themselves are gone and mechanically all
>> we're left with is there intersection which is erroneous.
>>
>> The fact that we can compensate for this difficulty after the fact by
>> the use of conjunctive inferences doesn't alter the circumstance that
>> all we have after a tautological regression and intersection of sets
>> is the result and not the constituent sets to work with.

>This is just getting worse and worse. I have no idea what you are
>talking about or why. Your "explanations" make less sense than
>what you are trying to explain.
>
>You asserted,
>"If P is false then any Q demonstrated of P is false too."
>
>I replied,
>"Let P = Margaret Thatcher is a man, and all men are politicians.
> Let Q = Margaret Thatcher is a politician.
>
> P is false, and validly implies Q, which is true."
>
>I think you're just trying to move heaven and earth to prove that
>you didn't misunderstand something.
>
>If you actually have something to contribute here, and are are
>not just wasting my time to salve your ego, or for the pure fun
>of it, please address me in the future as a complete moron who
>has to have things explained to him step-by-step in words of

Uh, ok dimwit. Let me explain something to you first. My impression is
that we were just having a reasonably interesting conversation without
special prejudice one way or the other. Now it turns out that I'm just
trying to cover my ass and salve my ego. So in that vein perhaps you
should consider a little ESL before beginning the mechanics of logic
101. Otherwise don't bother.

Lester Zick
~v~~

Date Subject Author