The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On 28 Jul 2006 16:50:30 -0700, "Rupert" <rupertmccallum@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Lester Zick wrote:

>> On 27 Jul 2006 15:39:51 -0700, "Rupert" <rupertmccallum@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>> >That's a good question. One of these days I'll write a paper about why
>> >we're justified in believing the axioms to be true. In the meantime,
>> >Michael Potter's "Set Theory and its Philosophy" is worth a look.

>> That you believe axioms are true and believe we're justified in
>> believing axioms doesn't make their truth anything more than
>> assumptions of axiomatic truth and assumptions that we're justified in
>> believing they're true whereas what you said is that they are true.
>>

>The question is whether we're justified in believing that they are
>true.

Oh no, no, no. You said the axioms are true and I asked how you know.
That's the issue and not whether you believe or don't believe they are
true.

> I maintain that we are, but I am not able to defend this in
>detail today.

You don't have to defend your beliefs. You have to defend your claim
that the axioms are true.

> If you don't accept it, that's fine.

Why should I care about your beliefs one way or the other? I didn't
ask about your beliefs. You said the axioms are true and I asked how
you know? If you wish to claim now that your statement was merely a
rhetorical confession of faith then we can conclude that in fact you
don't know axioms are true and move on.

> There may be some
>axioms that you think we're justified in believing, or you may think
>we're not justified in believing anything. That's fine. If I want to
>convince you otherwise I'll have to do it some other day.

Like some other day when you can say how you know axioms are true?

>> >No. Your comment that there is no reason why axioms should be
>> >undemonstrable was silly, and I was explaining why.

>> You can't demonstrate that axioms are true but simply state that they
>> are true but my comment was silly?
>>

>Yes, your comment was silly, and you're being silly again. Of course I
>can't *demonstrate* that the axioms are true.

But you can certainly say they are true without being able to
demonstrate what you say is true? My claim is certainly no more silly
than yours. All I said is that we're too lazy or stupid to figure out
how to demonstrate the truth of axioms and prefer to maintain our
dignitiy in the face of sloth by devising dialectical pretenses as to
why axioms should be considered true. Now that may be a cavalierly
hyperbolic characterization of our sloth but nonetheless accurate.

> That's why they're called
>axioms. The question is whether we are *justified* in believing them
>true. I have not defended my position on this issue. If you have a
>different position that's fine.

No that's not the question. You said the axioms are true.

Lester Zick
~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06