The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Aatu Koskensilta

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Chris Menzel wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 09:16:14 -0700, Lester Zick <dontbother@nowhere.net> said:
>> On 28 Jul 2006 16:48:25 GMT, Chris Menzel
>> <cmenzel@remove-this.tamu.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> See also P. Maddy, "Believing the Axioms I" (Journal of Symbolic Logic
>>> 53(2) (1988) 481-511) and "Believing the Axioms II" (JSL 53(3) (1988)
>>> 736-764).

>> Or "Faith Based Math".
>
> You believe you know the content of these papers and the philosophical
> inclinations of their author on the basis of their titles? Quite an act
> of faith, that.

No, no. It must be the contradiction of a false truth of a negation or
whatever it is Zick's been going on about.

--
Aatu Koskensilta (aatu.koskensilta@xortec.fi)

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, daruber muss man schweigen"

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?
Norman Wildberger