The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

namducnguyen

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Rupert wrote:

> Nam Nguyen wrote:
>

>>Rupert wrote:

>>>To any person of good sense, because it is obvious we could always come
>>>up with a semantics on which the sentence would be false. For example,
>>>the semantics on which the sentences means "two plus two equals five".

>>Yes. But you're talking about relative truth/falsehood here. So you
>>still haven't answer *why* it's ridiculous that a Zen Master would see
>>_absolute truth_ upon hearing a sentence, no matter what semantics
>>we could assign to the sentence.

> If he interprets the sentence to express an absolute truth, then that
> is obviously only the case relative to a particular semantics.

No Rupert, it's not obvious at all. Think about the way you've just
argued above: you have the hypothesis as the Zen Master expresses
an _absolute_ truth and conclude that such truth is _relative_ [to a
particular semantics of the expressing sentence]; and the only visible
'rule of _inference_' here is "that is obviously only the case!"
You know a reasoning argument would be much more than that! At least
I didn't claim here I know absolute truth exist: I already gave a caveat
that the believability of the absolute truth in this sense is another
matter. It's almost like you claim you know the orange the Zen Master
said exists in his hand doesn't exist, simply because what exists in
your hand is an apple!

>>(Going from a subjective "ridiculous"
>>to another subjective "of good sense" seems circular to me. As well as
>>using "because it is obvious..." to explain "It is absolutely
>>obvious..."!)
>>

> It *is* absolutely obvious. It's in the nature of things that that's
> all I can say.

I suspect that's not all one could say in this case: one could say
something like "I don't know what the Zen Master means by absolute truth
in that sense", instead of "it's obviously ridiculous!".

>>>There will exist a semantics under which it expresses a different
>>>proposition, and there will exist a semantics under which it expresses
>>>a false proposition.

>>>What I said is just fine, thanks. I was using the subjunctive mood.

>>>Yes, I apologize. Somehow I thought Kon(PA) was of the form Prim10(#a)
>>>rather than P(#a).

>>>Well, how on earth do you propose to talk about knowledge in the
>>>first-order language of arithmetic?

>>Isn't it true though that L(PA) and the 1st-order language of arithmetic
>>are identical, up to isomorphism between their non-logical symbols?
>>

> Yes. I would even say they're identical. And as far as I could tell
> what you said entailed that you were able to talk about knowledge in
> L(PA). I wanted to know how you proposed to do that.

You seem to have lost me here! Setting aside the fact that the key
point here is how trivial or significant Kon(PA), as a representation
of knowledge based relativity, is w.r.t. to the issue of theory
consistency, your asking me how I could talk about knowledge in L(PA)
is really irrelevant and ridiculous! I mean isn't it true that the whole
purpose of reasoning using FOL is to talk about *knowledge* of (some
kind of) truths, and that PA/L(PA) is part of that reasoning?

Honestly, I just don't see how we've managed to descend from the
potential significance of K(PA) to whether or not L(PA) is the same
as the language of arithmetic, and now to how could talk about knowledge
using a rather well known language of FOL!

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?
Norman Wildberger